Japanese Boogie Funk

Funky admins : funkiness, Wonder B

CRHYMEpays

Japanese Boogie Funk

Message par CRHYMEpays »

Peace Everybody

Been lurking on this forum for ages but never got around getting myself a membership
Anyway , I'm into J-Funk as a beginner and was looking for some good recommendations like OG presses or even reissues
So any help or hints are appreciated

Wonder B

Re: Japanese Boogie Funk

Message par Wonder B »

Hi CRHYMEpays there are quite a lot of references as far as J-Funk is concerned but Japanese artists tend to follow certain trends and they sometimes evolve through different genres which can be a bit puzzling!
So you must always listen to the albums and never buy blindfolded if I may say so! hahah Or you'll be in for some surprises!

There is some Japanese Funk and even more Japanese jazz-funk in case you're also interested in that genre.
You can start with these few examples but I'm sure you'll get more references from my fellow funkologists!

MYX only released one LP but it's pretty good all around.
MYX Dance (Everybody Get Up)

MYX Let me Love You

Tatsuro Yamashita is a major artist in Japan, the guy has 24 albums under his belt!!!
He's got a nice voice (which is not the case with all Japanese artists imho) here are two songs but there are so much more.. I'll let you dig and check by yourself.

Merry-Go-Round is one of my favourites in J-Funk

Sparkle

Spectrum is a band which at times sounds a lot like EWF which is not a bad sound to mesure yourself to...

First Wave
[video][/video]

Sunrise

Long Train Runnin

Toshiki Kadomatsu another Japanese pop star

Step Into The Light
[video][/video]

If You Wanna Dance Tonight
[video][/video]

Space Scraper

Yasuko Agawa recorded 23 albums!!! She recorded a lot of good stuff but the one LP that everyone wants is the one she recorded with the L.A. Boppers as backing band and produced by Augie Johnson (Side Effect) The name of this album is "Gravy"

Out of this LP is one gem of a track : L.A. Nights

Toshinobu Kubota another funky artist from the land of the rising sun

Dance If You Want It

Bubble Gum Brothers A fun band by a duo of stand up comedians who produced a couple of great songs...

Yappa JB (tribute to the Godfather)

Won't Be Long (nice video that shows life in the streets of Tokyo)

And my favouriyte video : Torokel Lady (a real must see)

Got plenty more but you've got to digest these ones first and I've got to get me a drink Hahahaha
Sworn to fun
Loyal to none
CRHYMEpays

Message par CRHYMEpays »

Thank a lot for all those tunes

Some artists I already knew for an Ed Motta AOR mix from a few months back
From what I've heard I think I'm leaning toward the City Pop genre as I've seen it's called
Like Junko Ohashi '' Dancin' "
And, man, thank you for the tip on that ''Gravy'' LP, never kenw it was a LA Boppers collaboration, I really dig it.

Do you have any advices on more affordable records even recent reissues or compilations ? I've been looking over the web and so far I've found two compilations : Lovin' Mighty Fire with that monster track from Junko Ohashi '' Dancin' '' and another one called '' Super City Pop '', can't tell you the names on this one as there are only audio snippets, but no artists for each tracks only this in the bio : ''Aru Takamara, Hitomi ''Penny'' Tohyama, Junko Ohashi, Junko Yagami, Kaoru Akimoto, Masaki Ueda, Makato Matsushita, Seaside Lovers''

Both compilations are not bad from what I've heard but I NEED MORE AAHAHHA

I hope you'll have a good drink for me too !
Wonder B

Message par Wonder B »

Yes all the names you mention are good to look for too... I usually try to search them through Discogs to know more about who's involved there and get direct links to the albums but you know you're not alone on that market... This is why some of these beauties are fetching some indecent prices these days...
You'll have to be patient sometimes to snatch them!
There's also an album worth getting if you have a chance (because it's pretty expensive) and it's "Boogie Train" by Funky Bureau.

About compilations I am so unaware about them that I am discovering the ones you mentioned! hahaha
Thanks for the tip because you are absolutely right. You can never get too much of them!
Sworn to fun
Loyal to none
DJ FBO

Message par DJ FBO »

une belle select jap. Yappa JB (tribute to the Godfather avec toshinobu kubota belle trouvaille :happyboy: :happyboy: :happyboy: :afro: :afro: {resp@ct# {resp@ct#
CRHYMEpays

Message par CRHYMEpays »

I've discovered those compilations by chance
I'm more accustomed to offline digging , but I've registred to some online shops newletters

Been onto this guy for a while , and these days this LP is on repeat :

Wonder B

Message par Wonder B »

Ahhh I love the Count Buffalos... Some of their LP's are fetching some hefty prices! LOL

Like this one called Emergency which has this one track which was on heavy rotation by lotsa DJ's...

Yama-To-Mizu

Sworn to fun
Loyal to none
CRHYMEpays

Message par CRHYMEpays »

Indeed , even the reissues are expensive

what about this one :

CRHYMEpays

Message par CRHYMEpays »

You can hear the influence of Michael Jackson's Thriller sound on this one :

Wonder B

Message par Wonder B »

{resp@ct#
Sworn to fun
Loyal to none
CRHYMEpays

Message par CRHYMEpays »

Yasuyuki Okamura , dubbed the " Japanese Prince " : '' Super Girl '' from City Hunter

''He was highly successful in the late 1980s and early 1990s, first promoted as a teen idol. Okamura also claimed during this time that he was most inspired by the singers Seiko Matsuda and Prince"

Wonder B

Message par Wonder B »

Seems to me that he stole some MJ moves rather than Prince :lol:
Sworn to fun
Loyal to none
CRHYMEpays

Message par CRHYMEpays »

I don't see the Prince connexion either :nonono:
Saul D

Message par Saul D »

"Lovin' Mighty Fire" j'adore cette compilation, enfin les 5-6 titres que j'ai écoutés, Yuko Asano, Mari Natsuki, Pink Lady, Rie Nakahara... et au fait, les génériques ou musiques accompagnant certains films (je pense à la série des Mr Boo, films sud coréens humoristiques des années 70) ou séries japonaises (Sharivan, X Or...) sont parfois très portés sur le funk ou la disco...
CRHYMEpays

Message par CRHYMEpays »

Peace Everybody
I didn't any related topic about tracks ID so I'm trying my luck here

Can anyone help me find the track playing @ 27mn44s

Thank you !

Répondre

Funk-o-logues actuellement en ligne

Utilisateurs parcourant ce forum : Aucun Funk-o-logue et 105 extraterrestres